Residential treatment for mental health issues and substance use disorders can be incredibly effective because teens work to build the healthy coping skills they need with the help of 24/7 support, intensive therapies, and personalized treatment plans. However, after completing a residential treatment program, the transition back to everyday life can be challenging without ongoing support. Outpatient programs and aftercare can offer the guidance that teens in recovery need as they return home or to another care setting.
The benefits of aftercare programs are numerous, and these programs can be a bridge between inpatient or outpatient care and everyday life. Learn more about the aftercare program at Ascend here.
Is Aftercare Important to Recovery?
While residential programs can be instrumental in helping troubled teens reach a place of stability, their journey to recovery doesn’t end there. Instead, 24/7 care and support are just a first step. At Ascend, we know that aftercare is incredibly important to recovery, and we offer two unique programs to fill the gap. With our aftercare program and alumni program, we offer teens and parents additional guidance for as long as they need it. Some of the main elements of our aftercare program include emotional support and logistics like:
- Liasioning with a long-term care program
- Supplying treatment summaries to outside doctors
- Writing care plans and guides for intervention
- Serving as sober companions for substance abuse recovery
- Creating detailed discharge plans for teens and parents
- Weekly client check-ins with a lead member of the treatment team
Five Benefits of Aftercare Programs
Aftercare is an essential part of the full continuum of care. Encountering triggers for relapse can be difficult, but with the benefits of an aftercare program, teens who are on the road to lasting recovery can overcome them successfully.
The main benefits of a good aftercare program include:
- Coaching sessions for parents – Learning how to support your teen can help them maintain their progress.
- Access to alumni events and networks – Connecting with others who have been through similar experiences can be helpful.
- Weekly check-ins – Members of the treatment team can determine if the client would benefit from further treatment.
- Communication with other healthcare providers – The treatment team can coordinate with outside doctors and therapists.
- Serving as a sober companion – Teens who struggle with substance abuse can benefit from sober support.
Maximizing the Benefits of Treatment Through Aftercare
To get the most out of treatment, it’s important to practice healthy coping skills and strategies in real-world settings. After participating in therapy and counseling in an inpatient program, teens must be able to reintegrate back into everyday life. Supporting teens as they make the transition back into their homes or their schools can be a little traumatic for everyone involved, and aftercare is the solution to a gentle reintegration.
The Aftercare Plan at Ascend Healthcare
After our clients have completed treatment, we continue to support them through our Concierge Aftercare Plan. This program involves a mentor who can help family members understand how to support their loved ones, access online therapy resources, weekly check-ins, and alumni meetings.
Whether you have a teen in treatment with us or you’re considering applying to the program, learning about our aftercare support can help you make better decisions. Connect with the team at Ascend Healthcare at 310.388.3713 today to learn more about the benefits of our aftercare programs.